Gillette, WY Criminal Defense Lawyer Answers DUI FAQs

If you are looking for a criminal defense attorney in Casper, Buffalo, Gillette, Sheridan, Sundance, or Worland, WY, Plains Law Offices can and will provide you with effective counsel, regardless of the nature of the charge. This being stated, we do handle a significant volume of DUI cases. As a licensed driver, you should have a thorough understanding of the laws that govern drinking and driving. When you know exactly what the threshold is and what the penalties are, you can go forward in an informed manner, and hopefully, you will be motivated steer clear of trouble with the law. Let’s look at some frequently asked questions about driving under the influence.

What is the blood alcohol content limit in the state of Wyoming?

If you are an adult and your BAC exceeds .08 percent when you are tested by a police officer, you are subject to a DUI charge. For people under the age of 21, the limit is .02 percent, and it is .04 percent for commercial drivers license holders.

How much do you have to drink to exceed this .08 percent limit?

There is no precise formula that is applicable to everyone, because metabolic factors vary person by person. However, there are basic parameters that can be applied, and your weight is a big factor. The estimate for someone who weighs 160 pounds who had three drinks would be around .060. According to the respected legal information website Nolo, that number would get into the red zone at .080 after the fourth drink.

Can I refuse to take a breath, urine, or blood test after being pulled over?

You can, but it may not be a good idea. Under these circumstances, if it is your first suspected offense, your license would be suspended for six months. Plus, even though there would be no physical proof, you could still be convicted of a DUI charge. The fact that you refused to take the test could be used as proof by the prosecuting attorney.

What are the penalties for a first DUI offense in Wyoming?

There is a 90 day license suspension for a first offense, but you can apply for a permit that would provide you with limited privileges. You can actually be placed in jail for up to six months, and you can be fined as much as $750. An ignition interlock device will be required when you can drive again if your BAC exceeded .15 percent.

Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney!

If you are arrested on a DUI charge, call Plains Law Offices at 1-307-675-1221.